Options for Americans Seeking to Retire in Canada


There are many reasons why Canada is a great place to retire in, let alone live there! Many older applicants living in the US find they want to retire in Canada and think it’s rather easy. Unfortunately, this is not an easy process but there are a few paths available. Here is everything you need to know about retiring in Canada!

Retiring in Canada Part-Time

Moving to Canada solely to retire is not easy if you are looking to just kick back and relax. The Canadian government is very specific when inviting people into the country who won’t contribute through working and who could potentially become reliant on its healthcare system. For these reasons, many find it easier to retire and live in Canada part-time.

Visitor Visa

Those interested in part-time retirement in Canada can apply for a visitor visa. A visitor visa, also known as a “TRV” is valid up to 6 months with the chance to extend!

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

Another option for applicants looking to live in Canada part-time can apply for a parent and grandparent super visa. To qualify for this visa, you have to have a child or grandchild that is a Canadian citizen. The parent and grandparent visa allows you to make visits up to 10 years in 2-year increments.

Retiring in Canada Full-Time

Retiring full-time and making the permanent move to Canada is much more difficult as there is no set route BUT don’t worry, there are options.

Work Permit

The best option when making the permanent move is to not fully retiring and applying through a work permit. This work programs include:

Family Sponsorship

A non-work option for those with relatives already living in Canada is through family sponsorship.


Canada is ALWAYS looking for investors to contribute to the country. There isn’t a specific program for investors anymore but there are paths for those able to make a qualifying investment. Learn more about options for investors in Canada.

Best Places to Retire in Canada

  1. Kingston, Ontario
  2. Vancouver, British Columbia
  3. Ottawa, Ontario
  4. Halifax, Nova Scotia
  5. Toronto, Ontario

Interested in Immigrating to Canada?

Retiring in Canada is NOT easy so we highly recommend speaking with an immigration professional. If you find yourself interested, Contact VisaPlace today. All of our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Prepare to study in Canada
Study permit: Who can apply
Job Vacancies In Canada Fell In September
Canada Immigration and Healthcare: Your Complete Guide
Alberta City Of Edmonton To Welcome More Than 30,000 Newcomers This Year 
Manitoba Issues 268 Canada Immigration Invitations In New PNP Draw
Canada Battling Large Backlog Of Permanent Resident Card Applications