Immigration to the US as a Journalist


If you are currently a Journalist in your home country and interested in moving to the United States, you may be able to make your dreams come true! There are a few opccupations that tie with being a journalist in the US. As technology has grown tremendously, you not only with see journalists in the industry about also a reporter, copyeditor, or photojournalist.

The duties of a journalist is to gather information, write news pieces, and present the news in an honest and balanced manner. In addition to investigating and reporting on current events, they also work on articles and features that update and influence public opinion.

Salary Average: $40,000 USD per year

US Journalist Requirements

When interested in being a journalist in the United States you will want to consider obtaining a bachelor’s degree before making the move. It is typically for a journalist to have a bachelor’s degree in areas such as:

  • Communications
  • English Literature
  • Creative Writing

It is not necessary to major in journalism to find a journalism, but it is does help your chances of success. Employers expect that a journalism graduate will know the basics of the job and need less training and supervision then a graduate from another major.

The best thing you can do to score a journalism job in the United States is to gain experience. Job applicants with work experience will be more appealing to employers. Employers will also want to see clips or writing samples which will need to be translated into English if the originals are in another language. International students attending journalism school in the US should have plenty of opportunities to write for campus newspapers, magazines, radio stations, or broadcast stations and a long stack of clips ready once it comes time to apply for jobs.

Occupation Visa Options for Immigrating to the US

Working Visas

The H-1B Visa is used for many industries to hire university-educated professionals like lawyers. Learn more about the H-1B Visas and how a foreign lawyer can qualify to practice law in the US.

Treaty Visas

There are several treaty visas that allow nationals of certain countries to immigrate to the US. 

Canadians and Mexican lawyers can apply for the TN visa

Australians can apply for the E-3 visa which acts very similar to the H-1B Visa

Singapore and Chile nationals can apply for the H-1B1 Visa.

More than 50 countries are eligible for the E-1 and E-2 Visa

Transfer Visas

If a Law Firm wants to transfer an attorney to the US from another country they may qualify for an L-1 Intra-Company Transfer Visa.

Training Visas

The J-1 exchange visitor trainee visa allows lawyers to come train in public administration and law for up to 18 months. Foreign students on F-1 student visas are entitled to a one-year work authorization period called “optional practical training” upon the conclusion of their studies. 

Business Visitor Visas

An attorney can enter the US as a visitor under the B-1 Busienss Visitor. Under the B-1 Visa it allows lawyers to: participate in meetings, consult with business clients/associates, assist clients negotiating contracts, engage in independent research, assist investor clients find investment opportunties, and attend trade shows. 

Extraordinary Ability Visa

The O-1 Extraordinary Ability Visa will allow attorneys who demonstrate they have extraordinary ability to enter the US. There are requirements to prove that you have shown extraordinary ability in your profession in which you should consult an immigration lawyer.

Permanent Residency 

If you are looking to permanently move to the US there are several options depending on your unique case. 

Temporarily Coming to the US as a Journalist

Let’s say you are interested in or assigned a project in the United States temporarily, luckily there is a specific visa for those journalists or reporters to do so which is called the I-1 Visa. The I-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the US for foreign media representatives and journalists who need to travel to the United States for the purpose of working exclusively in their profession. All applicants must meet eligibility criteria, which requires them to be residents of foreign countries, working for foreign information outlets headquartered in their respective countries.

Are You Interested in Migrating to the United States as a Journalist?

Immigrating to the US is not a completely straightforward process. The laws are somewhat complex, and for this reason, it helps to work with an immigration professional to help you.

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Prepare to study in Canada
Study permit: Who can apply
Immigration To Ontario Causes Rise In Enrolment To Schools In North-East
Ontario Targets Healthcare Jobs With 1,052 Canada Express Entry Immigration Invitations
Quebec Issues 1,210 Canada Immigration Invitations In New Expression Of Interest Draw
Backlog Of Canada Permanent Resident Card Applications Restricts Travel For Some
Canada Immigration and Healthcare: Your Complete Guide