How Can I Go to Canada with My Canadian Citizen Spouse?


Many Canadian citizens choose to live abroad for a bit – whether it be for work, school, or even just leisure. It is common for them to meet a special individual who they eventually marry and sometimes even have children with. Usually, a time comes when the Canadian citizen wishes to move back to Canada with the new spouse and children.


Know Your Options

There are a few options to choose from when deciding to move back to Canada with your Canadian citizen spouse. These include:

Apply for Sponsorship Before Arriving in Canada

Being sponsored by your spouse to become a Canadian permanent resident while still living abroad. This is the most common sponsorship pathway. Here, you apply for Canadian permanent residence and wait until the Canadian government grants you permanent residence status in Canada. This can typically take between 6-12 months.

After you are accepted, you can either move to Canada right away or visit Canada to accept PR and then move there in a few months. After living in Canada for a few years, you may then apply for Canadian citizenship.

Apply for Sponsorship After Arriving in Canada

A second option is to arrive to Canada with your spouse on a visitor visa before applying for permanent residence. Your spouse will then apply to sponsor your for PR in Canada immediately after your arrival.

If you choose this pathway, you may also apply for a work permit at the same time as you submit the PR application, allowing you to work and access public health care and other benefits during the remaining waiting period for the PR application to be approved.

Are You Interested in Applying to Live with Your Spouse In the United States?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Prepare to study in Canada
Study permit: Who can apply
Manitoba Issues 268 Canada Immigration Invitations In New PNP Draw
Canadian Businesses Optimistic About Economic Prospects Over Coming Year
Backlog Of Canada Permanent Resident Card Applications Restricts Travel For Some
British Columbia Issues 185 Invitations In New PNP Draw
Quebec Issues 1,210 Canada Immigration Invitations In New Expression Of Interest Draw