Self-Employed Options for Canadian Immigration


Being self-employed as a business owner or freelancer is very popular for many individuals. Many choose this route to avoid working for corporate companies and managing their own salary. Although there is not a specific visa for self-employed individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada, there are programs available.

Foreign nationals looking to immigrate to Canada as a business owner or freelancer can apply to the Self-Employed Persons Program or the Quebec Self-Employed Program for those interested in moving to Quebec.

Processing Time

Although the average processing time for this program is 24 months, when applying for the Self- Employed Persons Program, the processing time all depends on how fast the IRCC is processing applications at that time

Some individuals may need to give biometrics within this process.


Total fees for the program is broken into a Business Immigration Application ($1,575) and the Right of Permanent Residence Fee ($500)

  • Spouse/Partner Application Fee: $825
  • Spouse/Partner RPRF: $500
  • Dependents: additional $225 per

Who is Eligible?

To qualify you must:

  • have relevant experience
  • willing and able to be self-employed in Canada
  • meet the program’s requirements
  • meet medical, security checks and other conditions

How to Apply for Self-Employed Persons Program

Step 1: Gather the application package

The application package is available to those who wish to immigrate to Canada as a self-employed person that includes a guide and document checklist to make sure you are completed prepared. In most cases, you now need to give your fingerprints and biometrics after you apply.

Step 2: Pay your application fees

The following fees that need to be paid before submitting your application:

  • Processing Fee
  • Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)
  • Biometrics Fee
  • Third Part Fees (medical exams. police certificates, and language testing)

Step 3: Submit your application

You know your application is ready to be submitted when you have successfully answered all questions, signed all application forms, paid processing fees, and included all required supporting documents.

Do You Need Help Applying for Canada’s Self-Employed Persons Program?

If you find yourself affected by this announcement and need legal assistance, contact VisaPlace today. All of our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Prepare to study in Canada
Study permit: Who can apply
Job Vacancies In Canada Fell In September
Canada Battling Large Backlog Of Permanent Resident Card Applications
Canada Immigration and Healthcare: Your Complete Guide
Backlog Of Canada Permanent Resident Card Applications Restricts Travel For Some
Ontario Targets Healthcare Jobs With 1,052 Canada Express Entry Immigration Invitations